Archive for the ‘thing-a-day-2008’ Category

Project 11 – Freezer Paper shirts

Thursday, February 14th, 2008

So, some projects take more than a day to do.  Here is one of those actually.   I have to search out images to use…that takes a bit.  Once found they have to be sized, then cut out of freezer paper. 


Then they have to be ironed on to the shirts (oh, don’t forget to buy shirts of course!).  By the way – I usually keep an eye peeled at Michaels for when they put them 2 for $5 or such.  That way if I make a mistake it doesn’t hurt as much!


Note the freezer paper BEHIND the front also – this protects the paint from bleeding onto the back of the shirt.  Iron both pieces of freezer paper down.  Also note the little piece of freezer paper in the girl’s pony tail.  You will see more of it in the girl on the swing and the baby in the air photos at the end.  Those pieces are IMPORTANT to save and iron on also.

I use fabric paints.  They need to set for 24 hours before they can be washed, but once dried you can iron them right away.  I use throw away brushes and bowls also.  I don’t mix brushes or paints at this point.


Do dab over the edge of the image, don’t “paint”.

Here are is the pony tail girl:


I left one piece of freezer paper on – once the paint has set it just pulls right off…even the little piece in the middle of the pony tail.

Here are three other shirts I did today:


The girl on the swing is actually turned slightly on the shirt so it looks like she is in true motion. 

This is a fun project – if you (the adult) cut out the image and do the ironing the kids can paint it.  My seven year old nephew does this well!

The types of paints I use should be iron set before washing.   And the shirts should not be washed for 24 hours.  If some of the paint comes off it gives it more of a grunge look which is a good look right now.

Thing A Day – Project 3

Saturday, February 9th, 2008

To remind myself – Project 2 was getting this blog finally started.


Project 3 was the Valentines Supply Swap I was involved in.  Got mine off in the mail without taking any photos but I do have photos of what I got from my partner.  Here we go – the outside of the box was beautifully decorated…I would have loved to have saved them for decoupage work but with the tape to keep them in place and beautiful there would be no way that I know of to get them properly sealed.


Then Shelley (my partner) decorated a great paper mache box for me.  Here is a photo of it and the chocolates (hmmm – thats another dessert I forgot I ate!) that she also sent.  See if you can spot the great TAG she made also.  I had a great exchange partner – she MADE so many things in this box!


Oh – its setting on the cute tissue paper Shelley had protected the box with.  And here is a shot of all the bits and pieces she sent for me to create with or admire!


First – Shelley layered the box – see the dotted square behind the box – the ribbons were the pulls to lift it off.  So nicely done!  Hand painted.  Then the first layer were the fabric pieces you can see – the cute kids (darn its an older fabric run so I can’t go find more!), the cut felt heart, the red felt – oh and the images there next to the box.  And a roll of french pages!

In the wrappers there were paper flowers, the heart shapes, the red hearts and white balls (like stamen),the angel wings, the red buttons, the heart button – all great.  A piece sign – I can resin that .  Thats for another thing-a-day discussion.

A vintage thimble and it actually fits.  A paper umbrella like that comes in those “fancy” drinks.  Lots of ribbons –  blues, dots, mini rickrack – a weakness of mine, and a CUPCAKES prints. A couple of bottle caps, a glass microscope.  Then Shelley made me a fabric red heart pin.  I wore it earlier this week on my jacket.  A wonderful soldered piece – something I want to learn to do. And finally crystals and heart beads!

February Project #1 Finally Posted

Saturday, February 9th, 2008

February 1 project

This one was easy.  I had already done 5 of these boxes so I only had to repeat the process.

I had bought these ribbon boxes on sale after Christmas LAST YEAR – early January 2007.  I had sprayed 3 black and 2 crème. 


So I took the last one, pictured here with one ribbon roll set in it.




I sprayed it – quick and easy to do!  It does take several coats though – as you can see in this photo where you can still see snowflakes.   I did not worry about the metal , just sprayed over it.  Nor did I worry about the inside – you can see that its still red thru the ribbon holes.



And finally here it is on the stack, already filled with ribbon.  I liked the black/white color (or lack there of) because I can really see what the colors of the ribbons are.  Makes it easier to pick the colors correctly.